Thursday, December 17, 2009

RSA SecurID issues with Mac OS X Snow Leopard

I have a PPTP RSA SecurID VPN setup for connecting to my workplace. It works just fine on my MacBook Air, but when I did the identical setup on my new 27 inch iMac, it wouldn't connect.

The symptoms were that when I told the VPN client to connect, it would just sit trying for ages and never bring up the RSA window. Meanwhile my MBA on the same network running same OS was connecting just fine.

After a lot of beating my head against a wall and Google being completely useless, I dug out this line from system.log (my highlighting):

Dec 16 13:22:53 Al-Cooks-iMac pppd[554]: Error loading /System/Library/Extensions/EAP-RSA.ppp/Contents/MacOS/EAP-RSA: dlopen(/System/Library/Extensions/EAP-RSA.ppp/Contents/MacOS/EAP-RSA, 262): no suitable image found. Did find:\n /System/Library/Extensions/EAP-RSA.ppp/Contents/MacOS/EAP-RSA: mach-o, but wrong architecture

Dec 16 13:22:53 Al-Cooks-iMac pppd[554]: Couldn't load EAP plugin EAP-RSA.ppp

I checked the file sizes of /System/Library/Extensions/EAP-RSA.ppp on my two machines, and sure enough it was larger (602KB) on my MBA than on my iMac (463 KB). It seems apple have started shipping new machines with PPC only builds of this package. I have no idea why.

I copied the larger file across, and bingo. VPN works.

3 comments:

  1. Thank you very much for this info. I had two new machines (MacBook Pro and iMac) with the same problems: the RSA authentication dialog didn't show up and there were lines in the pppd-log about "EAP refuse to authenticate using type 15".

    I can feel along with the "beating my head against a wall"...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, I have the same issue and was about to start banging my head on the wall too.

    Any idea where I could get the old EAP-RSA file from?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Try this:
    http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1461018/EAP-RSA.ppp.zip

    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete